Thursday 9 January 2014

Harry's 6 Week Update

Long time no see blogger buddies.. I do apologise for my lack of posts but life had been a bit of a roller coaster ride lately, as you can imagine! Being parents is harder than Mr H and I ever imagined.. It's completely overwhelming but oh SO rewarding at the same time!
I took a bit of a break from blogging to concentrate on my little family and also Christmas - which now seems a lifetime ago! But I have so many things to post about that I have already learnt about being a mummy, I can't wait to share them with you..

Height/weight: We actually haven't had Harry weighed in a couple of weeks so we don't know! I will find out at our checkup on Monday :-) 


Daily: We had a bit of a meltdown when Harry hit the 1 month mark. He seemed to completely change his likes and dislikes and also the times he wanted to feed. Both of us went down ill with flu which it totally threw us out of sync and we had many a sleepless night with an extremely clingy baby. I was convinced that Harry was too young to be in a proper routine after reading a billion forums and listening to all sorts of advice but after a visit from my god mum (who we shall now be calling super god nanny) we realised that he is totally ready for a routine and that we had already got him in some terrible habits. We were letting our baby dictate our days whereas it should really be the other way around.
I am doing a separate post on Harry's routine as this will become a massive essay otherwise! 


Bedtime: Bedtime is what I dread most about our days together.. Harry has colic  and is really difficult to settle in the evenings without cuddling, rocking or distractions.. His poor tummy always seems to be causing him trouble. We have a GP appointment tomorrow to hopefully get a little bit of releif for him. 
One huge change from my last update is that Harry is now sleeping in his cot in his own room. Now I know this is a really controversial topic and that health professionals recommend your baby sleeps in a cot in your room for 6 months but unfortunately this just didn't work for us at all. He now has some really great nights in his cot and can go up to 5 hours without waking for a feed! He does have little random sleepy cries in between though either for his dummy or because his tummy seems to be causing him trouble 


Eating: Our little man was a pretty good eater in the first weeks and was taking on average 4oz every 3 hours but as he hit that 1 month mark that went totally out the window and he was "snacking", taking 2oz every 2 hours including through the night.
We have now started to give Harry Aptamil Comfort Milk still in his Dr Brown bottles and some Gripe Water in every feed which we don't know if it's helping relieve his tummy or not right now.  We have got a great feeding routine in place now that Harry has taken to like a dream! We feed him every 4 hours and he takes 4oz every time and now and again will drain a 5oz! We have learnt how to distract him away from wanting feeds earlier and he now will usually wait patiently for a bottle during the daytime


Clothing: Our little dude is now just starting to fit into his 0-3 month clothing! It's so scary how fast he's growing! I'm kind of excited though for him growing up to 3-6 month as we have some lovely outfits for him to wear as he gets bigger!! He has got a teeny little waist though just like his daddy so trousers all seem really big round the middle!



Milestones: 
Harry now smiles!!!! The cutest smiles ever! At first we weren't sure if they were real as he was just over 3 weeks old but then he didn't stop doing them at his Nanna one day and hasn't stopped since! I also had a FaceTime call with him and he have me a HUGE grin!!! It melts my heart every single time and makes all those sleepless nights totally worth it
Sleeping in his cot during the day and the night is a huge milestone for a 6 week old baby!
He can now have a little bit of playtime and has started to notice toys when you out them near his face.. I love that and can't wait till we can have loads of fun with all the heaps of toys I'm sure he will have!

I would love to hear from any parents of baby's with colic who have some advice!
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. Hi Lucie,
    Congratulations on becoming a mum....I've enjoyed following your story. I agree that being a parent is overwhelming but rewarding.
    I had my second baby, a boy, 16 weeks ago. The first 2 weeks with him were a dream but then it got hard....he was diagnosed with reflux....he didn't just bring up a little milk, he brought so much up, he used to scream non stop, he would choke and struggle to catch his breath and it all made breastfeeding very hard so I had to switch to bottles. It was awful. He is now on 2 doses of Zantac a day which has had a huge effect. He barely brings up any milk, he doesn't choke anyone and cries a lot less. He still cries a fair bit though, but I think it's just that he likes to be held! I changed from a "gold" formula to a normal one last week as apparently the gold can be too rich....hopefully we will see in a week or so if this seems kinder on his
    tummy and settles him even more. Reflux is apparently one of the biggest causes of colic, so if that's what your doctor diagnoses, I hope my information/experience is of help to you.
    Best wishes, Kelly (I went to school with your sister) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly! Thanks so much for your advice and your story!! It's so good to know other babies are having similar problems! Hopefully we can get some sort of help from the Doctor today xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear poor little Harry has colic :-( I can't offer any advice on it as Oscar never really seemed to bad with it, we just used to give him infacol before every feed and that seemed to keep him ok. We moved Oscar out of our room at about 10 weeks and it was a really good decision as we all sleep a lot better now and he just loves being in there! Your routine sounds so similar to how ours was when Ozzy was that old :-) xx

    Tiny Flutters - Baby Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww thanks.. Hopefully it will pass or we can get something to help!! I just feel sorry for him!! It's so much better having them in their own space isn't it! We still have trouble settling Harry but we think that's mainly due to the colic and his tummy giving him trouble! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems like your getting into the routine of things! Sienna didn't have much colic at all, gripe water sorted us and it seems you are doing everything right, maybe he is taking the milk too fast and you could swap to a smaller teat? Sorry I am no help! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi lucie. Ive looked at your blog a few times. I know susie we went to chalk ridge together and our mums were friends. I had my little boy 2 days before you so am on the 6 week mark too and i agree it has got harder as taylor was in a routine but it just seems to have dissapeared now. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Try infacol. It is for colic and it works magic. I used to give 1ml before feed to my girl and she also is on aptamil comfort.

    ReplyDelete

© Lucie & The Bump. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig